Monday, October 22, 2012

Am i obsessed with money?

I don't have anything to discuss this week...well not really.

I was looking at the Musicians Union rates the other day. £30 per hour minimum for private teaching, and £108 per person per 3 hour gig, with £36 per hour for overtime.
I applaud the fact that these rates are in existence but for most teachers and pub/club gigging musicians, they are approaching fantasy land

 I teach privately and i charge £20 per hour. Other drum schools, charge around £26. I know this is Swansea and that rates are probably higher elsewhere so £30 may be obtainable.
However the £108 per 3 hours for a gig is nowhere near obtainable. I got paid £100 last Saturday for a wedding gig, five piece band, and it was for a friend so cheaper than normal. However this involved 3 hours of travel, two hours of waiting/setup and 90 min set. If this was another band i play weddings for i would probably have got £150 but the time spent travelling/setting up and playing would have been similar.

Discuss?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd probably count the 3 hours of playing as arriving, setting up and then playing, if that is the case, for weddings, functions or corporate gigs it's certainly obtainable, I think to be able to command that kind wage at a pub gig, the band better be putting on some sort of show that drinks the place dry and is also charging at the door.